AccessVegas.com Insider Vibe
Serving Las Vegas Visitors and Residents Since 1999
Welcome to the Insider Vibe! This is the official newsletter of AccessVegas.Com. We talk about the Las Vegas activities you really care about.
AccessVegas.com Quick Info Menu:
Las Vegas Essentials
Seasonal Vegas Information
Photos and Wallpaper
Newkirk’s Notes – comments on Las Vegas from AccessVegas.Com publisher Ted Newkirk:
Spring has sprung in Las Vegas with the month of March being busy, busy, busy. Spring Break and March Madness take center stage. Toss in Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday is this coming Tuesday) and St. Patrick’s day (which falls on a Thursday, allowing it to be turned into a weekend-long party) you really have a month of non-stop action.
Add in MTV’s Spring Break programming live from The Palms this coming week and temps mostly in the 70’s (F) for the next 10 days and I think that it is safe to say that our 8 months of summer has begun!
The 50 Most Beautiful Things on Earth – MSN Travel has listed the Bellagio Fountains as one f the 50 most beautiful things on earth (winning the fountain category). We couldn’t agree more. I’ve been watching the fountain shows since pre-opening during the testing phase and to this very day, I do not tire of them. I’ll sometime sit there for 2 or 3 shows (they are only 15 minutes apart after dark). Still stunning to this day.
Where Is Your #%@!* App For My Phone? – Great question! I really want to do one. We have the resources in place. I’ve been sitting on the sidelines because the popularity of various devices is changing rapidly. I’m not an iPerson (someone who buys only Apple no matter what and considers Steve Jobs to be a religious figure), so just doing an iPhone app and damn the other platforms was not an option. Android phones are really gaining popularity (I LOVE my EVO). Windows platforms are finally making a play. Palm has just released an iPad like tablet that appears to be a step up from the original iPad (although I’ve heard the iPad 2 has major improvements). While we make up our mind…
Reader Lance told us about the Mobile RSS Free app for the iPhone. You can enter our RSS feed into the app and be alerted every time we add major content or news. First, download the app to your phone (or iPad). Then enter our RSS feed code:
In the meantime, your input is always welcomed. What would you like to see in an app? Do you know a good RSS reader app for Droid? What device are you using that you’d like to have the app for? Drop us a note at [email protected]
The Death Of Las Vegas – Regular readers know that I spent the better part of the last three years refuting all the crazy national news stories which were sounding Las Vegas’ death knell. No need to beat that dead horse anymore as all the important indicators of the health of out tourism industry are on a slow-but-steady rise. Now, I’m not saying that all is well for every resident of Las Vegas. The metropolitan areas of the U.S. with the largest gains in people living below the poverty level are: 1. Las Vegas, 2. Modesto (CA), 3. Detroit, 4. Ft. Myers (FL), and 5. Los Angeles. But what does that have to do with our travel industry and your visitor experience? Absolutely nothing. The two were intermingled by out-of-state writers who flew in to do a hit piece and probably spent all of their time at the bars and blackjack tables.
Obviously, I’m biased but I personally don’t think you can adequately cover Las Vegas from afar. Out-of-state news stories were saying that the Las Vegas strip was deserted. At the same time I’m fighting traffic on The Strip and waiting inálines for the buffet!
There is something about just seeing the Las Vegas Strip on a daily basis. It speaks to you. The waves of visitors walking The Strip create a vibe that literally changes by the week and by the season. For the past three years, that vibe told me that Las Vegas (as a travel industry and destination) was going to be just fine. And yes, we are.
Deal Too Good To Pass Up – $129 for Loews Spa Day: Massage, Pedicure & Cabana at the “new” Loews at Lake Las Vegas. For $129, you get a 50-minute massage, 50-minute pedicure and full-day cabana rental at Spa Moulay. (Not valid for Saturdays or certain holidays). The cabana rental is on the private upper level, loaded with a basket of fruit, FIJI water, couch, flat-screen TV and more. If you’ve priced spa treatments or cabana rental prices on The Strip, you know this is an amazing deal. One actually worth the one-day car rental to take advantage of it! Details at $129 Loews Spa Day: Massage, Pedicure & Cabana
Enjoy This Issue!
Associate Editor: Amy Rayner-Cooley
News Researcher/Editor: Rick Ziegler
Golden Nugget Hotel and Casino Spring Wine & Jazz Fest Returns for 2011 – The Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino will host its Third Annual Spring Wine & Jazz Fest March 24-27. This four day wine and jazz festival brings together consumers, winemakers and winery owners with poolside receptions, wine tastings, barrel and bottle samplings, cuisine pairings and a live wine auction.
- Full story/details/info: Golden Nugget Hotel and Casino Spring Wine & Jazz Fest Returns for 2011
Cabo Wabo Introduces Delicious New Menu Items – Tasty New Menu Options Spruce Up the Menu This Spring – Sammy HagarÆs Las Vegas cantina introduces several new items to the already flavorful menu. The updated Cabo Wabo Cantina menu features a combination of coastal Mexican and Tex Mex items.
Celebrate March Birthdays at McFadden’s St. Recovery Day Saturday, March 19 – March Birthdays Drink Free on St. Recovery Day – McFaddenÆs Restaurant and Saloon, located at the Rio All-Suite Hotel and Casino, will celebrate March birthdays on St. Recovery Day, Saturday, March 19. Party goers will enjoy birthday bash specials and more.
- Full story/details/info: Celebrate March Birthdays at McFadden’s St. Recovery Day
UGG/Swarovski launches exclusive boot for Vegas – With UGG Australia concept store opening last Fall, the store has partnered with Swarovski Crystal to produce a one-of-a-kind classic UGG boots just for the one-of-a-kind Vegas market. It may not be for everyone, but itÆs definitely a must-have for Sin CityÆs flashiest. The limited edition boot costs $800 and can only be purchased at the UGG Australia store at The Forum Shops (3500 Las Vegas Blvd).
- Full story/details/info: UGG/Swarovski launches exclusive boot for Vegas
Rockhouse heats up the strip with spring-time patio parties – Drink Specials and Bikini Contests Take Over Rockhouse – Be prepared for the ultimate patio parties at Rockhouse this March, taking place Thursdays through Sundays from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. The best parties on The Strip, RockhouseÆs drink specials and bikini contests will keep middays rockinÆ all spring long.
- Full story/details/info: Rockhouse heats up the strip with spring-time patio parties.
- Full story/details/info: Cabo Wabo Introduces Delicious New Menu Items
Maverick Indian Territory Helicopter Tour û This Grand Canyon landing tour takes you to the West Rim where you will enjoy spectacular views along Eagle Point and receive a brief introduction to the Hualapai Indian legends and culture.
What We’re Watching û Vegas Videos You’ll Enjoy
- Bellagio Las Vegas, Hotel Room Video – Bellagio Las Vegas, Room Video of room 21008 with a stunning view over the lake and fountain show. Bellagio continues to hold its own against the elite hotels in Las Vegas.
- Nikki Cafe Happy Hour at Tropicana Las Vegas – In anticipation of the May opening of Nikki Beach at The Tropicana, Nikki Cafe is open and throwing a locals happy hour 5-8 PM on Thursdays. Don’t worry… they won’t kick you out if you are visiting from elsewhere.
- X Burlesque University – Not quite your average learning institution, X Burlesque University will teach you how to apply showgirl make-up, learn showgirl choreography, and you’ll even earn a diploma!
- Rumor Hotel Las Vegas Offers Customers Opportunity to Book Entire Building – The Rumor Boutique Hotel at Harmon and Paradise was designed to invoke memories of Las Vegas, Miami and Los Angeles. ‘Rumor Boutique Hotel is one of the only true boutique hotels in Las Vegas,’ said the Siegel Group Director of Business Affairs Michael Crandall. ‘We wanted to bring something different to Las Vegas, something this city has never seen.’
- Siegfried & Roy’s Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat – Living in Las Vegas certainly has many perksà one being the amazing access you get to activities usually planned for vacation trips. One great example that weÆve come across is the Dolphin Habitat at Mirage. Eight magical Atlantic bottlenose dolphins just waiting for you to join them as a ‘trainer for a dayà’ You’ll get to feed the dolphins, learn to train the dolphins, and dine with the dolphins.
- Featured Cocktail: Summer Kiss at Venus Pool Club – Pool season is literally just around the corner here in Las Vegas. Bartender Michael at the Venus Pool Club at Caesars Palace walks us through the making of the pool’s signature cocktail, the Summer Kiss: Belvedere Pink Grapefruit vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice, simple syrup, and Veuve Clicquot Champagne.
Members Mania – We Love Our Readers!
- Good Place To Go Horseback Riding In Las Vegas? – When you fly in and head straight for The Strip, you forget that Las Vegas sits in the middle of the old wild, wild west. Didn’t think that a 1/2 hour drive from The Strip would take you back in time? Check out this blog post which includes video and see one of my fave spots to get away from it all!
- When Is The Liquor Store At Las Vegas McCarran Airport Supposed To Open? – Yes, the county approved a major liquor store at the baggage area of McCarran Airport. This post has the details!
- Did All Of The Winter Rain Help Out With Lake MeadÆs Water Levels? – Yes and no. Every drop helps, but we’ll fill you in on why the lake is going to have long-term problems filling back up, and what is being done about it. Especially given that Lake Mead (for now) is the primary source of drinking water for the Las Vegas area. And we’ll tell you why the hotel attractions like the Bellagio Fountains aren’t so wasteful after all.
We love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Here’s how to participate:
- Want to comment on a current reader post? Use the comment box on that particular web page. Many of the stories we post also have comment boxes at the end of the story. Make your voice heard!
- Drop us an email at [email protected] – We read them all!
- Call our recorded comment line at 702-507-0055. We listen to every call.
More Las Vegas News – Concerts – Events
- Hard work, training at root of performances in ‘Sinatra Dance With Me’Book Sinatra – Dance With Me Las Vegas Tickets Now
- Brothel Ban a Hot Topic on Campaign Trail (with video)
- Supporters sure of Rio robbery suspect’s innocence (with video)
- Details emerge about blundering suspects arrested in Rio robbery (with video)
- The Las Vegas Mob Experience Replaces “Dethroned” Mafia Princess With Heir Apparent Son
- Why Book Just One Suite When You Can Own The Entire 150-Room Rumor Boutique Hotel in Las Vegas For Just $13,000 For The Night?
- Local Ladies’ Night is Now Every Tuesday at Nove Italiano Inside Palms Casino Resort
- Miracle Mile ShopsÆ Fountain Turns Orange for National Sclerosis Education and Awareness Month
- Cabo Wabo Cantina Hosts UFC 128: Shogun vs Jones Live Saturday, March 19 û Catch the Mixed Martial Arts Match-up at Sammy HagarÆs Cantina
- Steve Wynn ready to tie knot again
- Brothels fire back at Harry Reid
- Mideast turmoil could hurt Las Vegas gaming
- Las Vegas casinos rename their corporations for many reasons
- Valet parker knows it takes more than fleet feet to keep customers happy
- Conventions and Trade Shows Attendance at events is rising and advance bookings look strong
- Feds drop effort to sell closed Crazy Horse Too strip club
- Nevada open road races lure local speed junkies
- Two parties gain ownership, control of Hard Rock Hotel
- Moody’s predicts Strip upturn won’t begin until 2012
- Las Vegas existing-home sales fall – median price at $115,000
- Creative cuisine makes for a dinner of high notes at Aria’s Sage
- Wynn Las Vegas’ Tryst offers ‘sexy vibe’ with luxury touches
- Meals on Wheels Mobile eateries hit the streets in Southern Nevada
- Rio robbery suspects discussed heist on tape
- Rio Casino Robbery Suspect Appears in Court